Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pandora's Box


I talked with a friend today who recently went gluten-free (essentially no bread or wheat products) for health reasons. She said it took about thirty days for her body to adjust. During that thirty days she felt tired and not at her best. After those thirty days, she said, the difference was amazing. She felt better then she ever had

That gave me hope, because today I feel hungry, tired and cranky. It’s not even like I’m not eating enough food. I’ve been eating well (quantity-wise). I would love to say that the difference has been immediate and positive, but the truth is, I think I’m still waiting for my body to adjust and stop screaming at me to order a pizza.

I’m a little overwhelmed at the Pandora’s box that this project is opening. And it’s only the first week. Here are some of the things that occurred to me today as I enjoyed my lunch of salad and minestrone soup (really delicious and not at all filling...by the way).

Is it possible to sell out to this thing fully, from a time perspective?
In most cultures that practice sustainable eating (which I will call synonymous with Kingdom eating...for now) at least one member of the household remains at home, in part because of all of the additional work that is required to prepare meals for the family. I assume that’s why the rise of dual income households in America is a fairly recent development...not coincidentally it seems to mirror the curve of the industrialization of our food system.

What lines do I draw?
If i decide to hold to strictly local and sustainable production systems, I will be eating potatoes, squash and root vegetables for another 4 months. That’s not going to happen. So, already I am making compromises based on my addiction to variety (particularly in produce). What compromises am I comfortable making?

This is expensive...
One of the beauties of the mechanization of food is that it drives down cost significantly. That means to oppose it is going to cost more money. Am I willing to spend it? How much?

This is not a fast...it’s a lifestyle
I have to continue to remind myself that this is not a temporary engagement in discipline. It’s a deliberate and calculated move away from something that I believe represents physical, spiritual and emotional compromises and a move toward what I hope (and some days I believe) is a fuller existence in God’s Kingdom on earth (still unpacking what that statement even means).


Onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment